In 1954, to allow extended cooperation between brigades, a Fire Service Regulation, Code of Practice and Co-Ordination Scheme is put in place. This level of cooperation paved the way for the Fire Service training school to open in 1957. It opened in Island Bay, Wellington and was for all ranks of firefighters, both volunteer and career.
In 1954, a major policy and Code of Practice was agreed with the Post and Telegraph Department on a single emergency number. Then in 1956, an automatic telephone exchange was set up in Masterton.
On September 29, 1958, Masterton and Carterton had the 111 number introduced.