Based on the success of the Auckland Brigade, volunteer brigades began to spring up all around the country. 1860 saw the Christchurch Volunteer Fire Brigade formed. They were provided with manual fire pumps donated by Liverpool, London & Globe Insurance Co. The following year, the Dunedin VFB was formed with what is believed to be New Zealand’s first paid firefighter – Superintendent Robertson.
By 1865 Wellington had its own volunteer fire brigade and Auckland’s brigade was reformed on a permanent basis after the original group had broken up.
The first horse drawn steam fire engine was imported for the Dunedin Brigade in 1865 – despite it remaining privately owned.
In 1867, the Municipal Corporation Acts gave borough councils the authority to adopt measures for fire protection, appoint Fire Inspectors and set up Fire Brigades – this was the Fire Service constitution until 1900.
1868 saw the first permanently manned brigade in Christchurch where paid firefighters were living at the fire station.