Amberley Volunteer Fire Brigade was formed in 1957 after the local primary school burnt to the ground. Thirty years later a new Station was built to accommodate the needs of the Brigade. The Brigade covers Leithfield to Glasnevin (approximately 10km north of Amberley) and also encompasses the Leithfield Beach and Amberley Beach townships. Amberley Brigade also acts as a support pump rescue tender to the Waipara Brigade. The Brigade has an establishment of 22 firefighters. Several members of the Brigade have now had more than 25 years of service to their local community.
Amberley is approximately 48kms North of Christchurch in the heart of north Canterbury and is part of the Hurunui District. Primarily it is a service township for the local rural community. Several significant local buildings date from pre-1900's and a rail service originally ran from Christchurch direct to Amberley to service the area. Although mostly a farming district, Mount Grey, Ashley Forest and some coastal settlements are all within the area that Amberley Brigade covers. Just north of Amberley is the Waipara Valley, one of the fastest growing wine producing regions in New Zealand.